The goal of the 2007 Summer Reading Group was to spend some time reading in detail (and understanding) some of the classic papers and results that are often quoted at meetings or in publications. Many times the person doing the quoting probably hasn’t read the original paper himself or herself and some of the subtleties and caveats that usually go along with the original result.
Monday, June 11, 2007
Einstein’s result for Viscosity of Dilute Suspension of Spheres
Presented by Fang Xu | Download
Albert Einstein, A new determination of molecular dimensions, Annalen der Physik, 19, 289-306, 1906; corrections, 34: 591-592, 1911.
Monday, June 18, 2007
Batchelor’s Result for Extensional Viscosity of Dilute Suspension of Rods
Presented by Chris Pipe | Download
G. K. Batchelor, The stress generated in a non-dilute suspension of elongated particles by pure straining motion, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 46, 813-829, 1971.
Friday, June 22, 2007
Hadamard-Rybcinzski Result for Rise Velocity of Drops and Bubbles
Presented by Philipp Erni | Download
- J. Hadamard, H. Pointcare, Steady slow motion of a liquid and viscous sphere in a viscous liquid, Comptes rendus de l'Académie des Sciences, 152, 1753-1738, 1911.
- G. K. Batchelor, An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics, pg. 235, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1973.
Friday, June 29, 2007
Rayleigh’s Result for Breakup of an Inviscid Jet
Presented by Pradipto Bhattacharjee | Download
- Lord Rayleigh, On the capillary phenomena of jets, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, 29, 71-97, 1879.
Friday, July 6, 2007
Rayleigh’s Result for Effects of Viscosity on the Breakup of a Jet
Presented by Trush Majmudar | Download
Lord Rayleigh, On the instability of a cylinder of viscous liquid under capillary force, Philosophical Magazine, XXXIV, 145-154, 1892.
Friday, July 13, 2007
Matovich and Pearson: Viscoelastic Jets and Threads
Presented by Matthieu Varagnat | Download
- M. A. Matovich, J. R. A. Pearson, Spinning a molten threadling, I and EC Fundamentals, 8, 512-520, 1969.
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Guth and Gold Relationship (and Higher Order Terms/Aspect Ratio) for Effective Modulus of Composites
Presented by Shawna Liff | Download
- E. Guth, Theory of Filler Reinforcement, Journal of Applied Physics, 16, 20-25, 1945.
Friday, August 3, 2007
Rouse’s Paper on Dilute Solution Viscoelasticity
Presented by Randy Ewoldt | Download
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Bonus Seminar: Peter Winter's Summer Report | Download
Friday, August 17, 2007
The Clausius-Mossotti Relationship for Dipolar Force between Two Point Spheres
Presented by Jason Rich | Download
- R. Clausius, Die Mechanische Wärmetheorie, 2, 62 – 97, 1879.
- O. F. Mossotti, Memorie di Matematica e di Fisica della Società Italiana delle Scienze, 24, Part 2, p. 49, 1850.
Tuesday, August 29, 2007
Sydney Goldstein: The No Slip Boundary Condition in Fluids
Presented by Wonjae Choi | Download
Modern developments in fluid dynamics; an account of theory and experiment relating to boundary layers, turbulent motion and wakes, Fluid Motion Panel of the Aeronautical Research Committee and others, Oxford, The Clarendon Press, 1938.